Saturday, August 15, 2009

Sports Builds Character – I Mean, Characters

Michael Vick is now a member of my beloved Philadelphia Eagles. I’m still trying to digest this. Yeah, yeah, second chances and all. Still, I really wish he’d gone somewhere else.

Sports – successful programs and teams, anyway – seems to build young men – and coaches – who think they can do whatever the hell they want and get away with it. Events seem to bear that out.

Here are a few names:

Rick Pitino
Alex Rodriguez
Kobe Bryant
David Ortiz
Ray Lewis
Allen Iverson
Michael Phelps
Steve McNair

Rape, adultery, theft, drugs, steroids, homicide.

We tell our children sports builds character. What we really mean is losing builds character.

The real message seems to be “Screw ethics – just win, baby!”

Now, can anybody tell me what I should tell my eight-year-old son?

No comments: